Well folks, summer is here. Yes, I know that you already knew that, but between moving and working, I feel like I am just getting settled into the summertime swing of things.
I have been accumulating a lot of music recently and I made my annual summer playlist on iTunes. I have shared some of my playlists before andI know you are all just dying for a sampling of my summer jams. So here are some selections from my (immensely) long mix. (Note- I decided against embedding the videos because it slows page load time.)
- “Rum and Coca-Cola” by The Andrews Sisters. This version of Lord Invader‘s song spent 10 weeks at the No. 1 spot on Billboard’s pop singles chart in 1945. This song just sounds like summer— light and casual. (Never mind the lyrics, which seem to hint at prostitution and white supremacy in Trinidad.)
- “Crazy in Love (Kid Koala Version)” by Emeli Sandé & the Bryan Ferry Orchestra. This song comes from “The Great Gatsby” soundtrack. I loved the movie and the soundtrack. This is one of my favorites. Who doesn’t love this fresh yet throwback version of Beyoncé’s hit?
- “Pirate Flag” by Kenny Chesney. The current king of country music has done it again. Every summer he seems to come out with a song that summarizes the ideal summer sentiment. (Remember “Out Last Night” or “Feel Like a Rockstar?” The list could go on…)
- “Love Somebody” by Maroon 5. Nothing more than a shameless Top 40 hit. Super catchy, super cool video, once you get past the nearly naked lady dancing.
- “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams. This song is on everywhere I go. It’s catchy beat makes me want to get my dancing shoes on!
- “(Your Love is Like a) Heat Wave” by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas. I’ve been really into Motown music lately. With higher temperatures (hopefully) coming, this song is perfect for sitting in the sun.
- “Pusher Love Girl” by Justin Timberlake. In my opinion, this is the best song on JT’s newest album, “The 20/20 Experience.” The long track lengths and hypnotic beats make each song on the album sound like a remix of sorts. (“Don’t Hold the Wall” almost made it on this list, but I didn’t want to put two JT songs on. )
- “Hey Tonight” by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I am a CCR fan, and this song is one I like to play while putting on my makeup before a fun night out!
What do you think? Do these songs sound like summer to you? What did I miss?
- Soundtrack of the Day: The Beach Boys- I Should Have Known Better (burjintheburbs.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Summer Songs for 2013 (kfrog.cbslocal.com)
- Summer 2013 Southern Playlist (thedailysouth.southernliving.com)