Lately, I have been feeling rather angsty. I never went through an angsty stage in middle school, so this is new to me. I really don’t know what has come over me. I am sarcastic to the extreme and feel like I want to do something rebellious. How rebellious am I? I checked out a book about seahorses from the Kearney Public Library.
This may seem a surprise to those who thought they knew me. You may be thinking, “Amanda? Rebellious? Angsty? Acting like a teenager even though she is now 20 and no longer a teenager?” However, the classic signs of pre-angst Amanda were there all along.
Exhibit one- My favorite movie is the 1961 classic film “West Side Story.” WSS is more than a Sondheim/Laurents/Robbins musical. It is full of raw teenage anxiousness. After all, the main struggle in the film is between two gangs. That’s right- gangs. So angsty, I can’t even stand it.
Exhibit two- James Dean is my favorite actor/man of history. His most famous movie is titled “Rebel Without a Cause.” I mean, come on! This guy gets me. Also, his second most famous movie is “East of Eden,” where he plays outcast/weirdo Cal. Is he perfect or what? (Don’t answer, that was a rethorical question. Of course he is perfect!)
Exhibit three- My favorite twitter feed is @whitegrlproblem, more commonly known as White Girl Problems. The genius behind this twitter feed, Babe Walker, wrote a book which I recently read. It is about a rich white girl who has problems. It is very angsty and very brilliant.
Exhibit four- I recently voted for the first time, by absentee ballot. Power to the people! Now I feel entitled to have an opinion. Democracy is dangerous stuff.
Exhibit five- I have been listening to angsty music lately. Lana del Rey, or LDR, has been playing constantly. She is so great. Here is a sample of my Angsty Amanda playlist. (Note- not all music on here is G-Rated.)
- Baba O’Riley by The Who. After all, it’s only teenage wasteland.
- Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It ain’t me, I’m no fortunate son.
- Blue Jeans by Lana Del Rey. F-f-f-fresh to death and sick as c-c-cancer.
- I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift. I knew you were trouble when you walked in.
- Mary Jane’s Last Dance by Tom Petty. I feel summer creepin’ in and I’m tired of this town again.
- Weekends!!! by Skrillex. I think you and my friends should hang out on the weekends.
- Gangster’s Paradise by Coolio. Even my momma thinks my mind is gone.
- Soul Man by Sam and Dave. I’m a soul man.
- Mo Money Mo Problems by Biggie Smalls and the Notorious B.I.G.
Conclusion- based on the previous five examples, my angsty side was destined to come out sometime.
Tread with caution.