Hello. If you know me at all, you know that I like ‘oldies.’ (And no, I’m not talking about my pictures from middle school.)
Why do I like older music? I am not quite sure. Maybe it is because it invokes memories of a simpler time (that I did not experience but only know from watching the History channel quite frequently). Perhaps it is because I am too lazy/cheap to buy new music. Or, just maybe, it is because I am what is called ‘an old soul.’
Yes, I will admit it- I am an old soul. I will shout it from the mountain tops! I am not ashamed. If you proudly embrace your inner grandma or grandpa, read on. Here are some of my absolute favorite songs:
- “Suspicious Minds” by Elvis Presley ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmAPYkPeYU ) This is a great song. From the groovy synthesizer to the mesmerizing lyrics, The King made some magic when he recorded this.
- “St. Louis Blues” by various artists. This rendition by Bessie Smith is worth the listen )http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Who6fTHJ34) I played this song once for piano lessons, and I immediately fell in love with it. Who doesn’t get the blues every once in a while?
- “Wouldn’t it be Nice” by the Beach Boys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L–cqAI3IUI) I have fond memories of my sister forcing any vehicle she was in to listen to The Beach Boys Greatest Hits album on repeat. This song is a perfect embodiment of the classic beachy sound achieved by this classic group. Besides, the lyrics are surprisingly suggestive, something I didn’t pick up on until more recent years.
- “Bookends” by Simon & Garfunkel. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOa_rPeRtn4) I have nothing to say except it always sticks in my brain!
- “Express Yourself” by Madonna. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVcUzP_O_8) I realize this is from a more recent era, but what a powerful message!
- “JukeBox Hero” by Foreigner. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tzi8wkYgI) One of my favorite songs ever.
- “Here Comes the Night” by Van Morrison. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVaT5XozoAU) I love the juxtaposition of fast and slow sections.
- “Beast of Burden” by The Rolling Stones. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8On3UiBOTdQ&feature=related) My favorite stones song. I rediscovered it after hearing it played in a Parisian bar last summer.
- “American Girl” by Tom Petty. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBWov6nd6E) Handclaps featured in the intro? I think YES!!
- “American Pie” by Don McLean. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7hxguhFfI) So glad I know all of the lyrics to this eight minute song.
- “Can’t take my eyes off you” by Frankie Valli. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpWKAGvGdA) I think this song is the most romantic and wonderful song with trumpets.
I hope you appreciate this music as much as I do!