Question: When does summer officially begin?
However, life isn’t always black and white. There are many different ways people define this significant moment in their annual journey, such as:
- The last day of school, generally occurring in May or June
- The first sunburn of the season
- Wearing shorts and a tank top for the first time (without shivering!)
- Being able to wash your car outside
- Seeing the stores fill with patio furniture and petunias
- Unpacking all of your boxes after moving back home (much to my Mother’s chagrin, I don’t buy this.)
- The season finale of their favorite tv show
- Playing the Beach Boys Greatest Hits Volume 1
You may be scratching your heads and thinking one or more of the following things:
- Who died and made her queen of the seasons? (Answer: Trick question. Nice try, but that isn’t a real job.)
- I always associated it with [insert one of the above reasons] (Answer: False. Work on your reading comprehension.)
- What type of person listens to The Beach Boys on repeat? (Answer: A really funny and awesome type of person.)
- Amanda, what do YOU associate the beginning of summer with?
The answer to the fourth question is quite simple for me. The beginning of summer coincides with the filling of the local swimming pool.
If you know me at all, you know that I am the type of person who obnoxiously says the phrase “It’s okay, I’m a lifeguard,” at least three times a day (along with the phrase “Well, I’m blonde!). This summer marks my fifth or sixth (math isn’t my strong suit!) year working for the municipal pool system in Kearney.
I love it. So much.
Some people may think that being a 20-year-old lifeguard isn’t something to be proud of. However, working at a pool has given me many skills, besides the obvious life saving ones. Examples:
- Knowing the lyrics to every popular song recorded between 1960 and 1999
- Awesome whistle skills. (With a whistle. I swear, I could out whistle Captain Von Trapp.)
- The ability to kill a wasp/moth/spider without crying and/or screaming
- How to teach and perform water aerobics!
- How to do a backflip under water
- The best things can oftentimes be discovered in the lost and found.
- The rules of water polo
- The importance of sunscreen
- The knowledge that grape Laffy Taffy is the best flavor
So, here I sit- typing, rubbing aloe vera on my skin and listening to The Beach Boys on repeat. Mostly, I am dreaming about the pool. My summer has started. I am ready to soak up the experience that is Harmon Park Pool.