If you know me at all, you will also know that I can be on top of my game (wildly procrastinate).
Both of these things happened to me this week. I had a history paper due this morning. Pro: I learned how to insert footnotes using Microsoft Word. Con: I procrastinated. And I mean p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-e-d. In the longest and fullest sense of the word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/procrastinate
Being the procrastinator I am, I decided to take up a new hobby- going vegan! I was inspired by one of my sorority sisters who happens to be one of the coolest (vegan ) people I know. Case in point- she has a deep appreciation for Vanessa Carlton. In typical Amanda fashion, I jumped into something that I knew zilch about. I gave myself a goal: Be vegan for four days. Four short and simple days. Monday to Thursday.
I lasted a mere 36 hours. 36 miserable hours. In my defense, it is extremely difficult to find vegan options in dining halls. I had no vegan snacks or food in my room. I wish to retry this experiment this summer, when I am at home and have access to more options. I would like to clarify that I am not doing this for animal rights reasons. Rather, I like challenges (see above). I did not approach this with the right knowledge. One evening my dinner consisted of cinnamon toast crunch, french fries, twizzlers, and oreos. All are vegan! Like I said, the dining hall options are difficult. Now, in another typical Amanda fashion, I will make a list to try and make sense of my failed experiment.
Things that were/are shorter than my period of vegan-ness:
- My dreams of being a championship ice skater
- Any interest I have ever had in a hockey game
- The lifespan of a mayfly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly#Lifespan)
- The first untethered space walk: Bruce McCandless spent approx 6 hours untethered from the space shuttle in 1894 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-41-B
- The 20 hour surgery Charla Nash underwent to get a face transplant after a chimpanzee attacked her (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/28/charla-nash-talks-chimp-attack-recovery/)
- The reign of Emperor Modi of Jin– FASCINATING Story- (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Modi_of_Jin)
- The time I spent mulling over my decision to attempt a vegan lifestyle.